Tuesday 10 March 2015

When I Decided to #StartANewLife

For seven years I saved every rupee so that I could buy a house just for myself. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my parents and loved living with them. But there was a point of time when I felt that I could no longer be a burden on them.  Also, I needed to learn to be independent. I needed to have experience to fend for myself. I had to #StartANewLife.

There was also another reason I had to acquire a house. I was in relationship with this girl in my college (name undisclosed to protect identity). Her parents didn’t like me very much, for reasons best known to them. I thought if I could get a place of my own, it would impress them and they would begin favouring me.

Unfortunately, by the age of 27 I could barely save enough. I checked with brokers and friends to look for a decent flat within my budget. But all the flats were either too expensive or were not fit for habitation. I was frustrated and almost gave up all hope of starting a new life in the city.

Then,  I met my Raj who had recently got married and bought a flat in the city. When I asked him how he could afford to #StartANewLife in the city, he hesitated. After I persisted and begged repeatedly he whispered in my ear, ‘Housing.com’. I immediately checked out the site on my tablet.

It was amazing. Flats at the best possible locations were available at reasonable rates. I ignored Raj the rest of the evening and continued to check out flats on the website. It was convenient to browse and was rather safe. I found a flat I liked and about a month later I found myself living in my new flat! The flat was in a good neighbourhood with schools and hospitals nearby in case I decided to start a family.

I invited my girlfriend and her parents to my house warming party. I showed them around the place. They examined the entire flat in a cursory manner. Finally, they smiled and told me that I had a good choice. I wasn’t sure if they were talking about the flat or their daughter or both. In any case, they were impressed and gave me their blessings.

And that my friends, is how a new chapter in my life started. Now I have learnt to be independent. I am no longer reliant on my parents. I have my own independent identity. I don’t want to offend any of my readers, but I highly recommend all of you above the age of 25 to stop being a parent’s pet and start making your own place in this world.

Don't know where to start? Go to https://housing.com/

---------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge