Thursday 14 May 2015

My Mom, My First Expert...

(Image taken from here.)
‘Mere paas maa hai...’ is easily the most famous Hindi movie dialogue. The line has made an impact, because of the simple truth contained in them. Whoever has a mother has everything. A lot of holy and great things are compared to mothers, including our country. The truth, of course, is that nothing can compare to a mother. It’s a special relationship; the one between a person and his/her mother.
My mother and I share many traditions. Sometimes when it rains, we go out for a walk. The rest of the people run for shelter or open their raindrops hitting our face. Neither of us cares what the bystanders think. When we take our ‘monsoon walks’, it’s as though we are in a different world. When we reach home my mother always makes sure she wipes my head dry with a towel, to make sure I don’t get a cold. She never lets me wipe her hair, until she is done with mine.
(Image taken from here.)
When I was in junior college, my mom, on my request, started teaching me how to bake. Every Sunday we would be near the oven. Sweating, but still having fun. She ate my first few cakes, though I never considered them edible. Instead of criticizing, she advised.  Thanks to that I’ve become a master baker. We still bake together occasionally.
Recently, my mom and I started a new tradition. It pained me to see my mom’s white hair. So I insisted that she let me colour her hair about every 20 days. I know it may sound like a chore, but it’s an activity in which I take tremendous pleasure. During the hair colouring sessions we talk about love, happiness and life in general. The discussions aren’t eventful, yet for some reason they linger in my memory, and I believe they will continue to do so till I die. Funny, isn’t it?
(Image taken from here.)
Since the moment I was born, my mother has sacrificed everything for me. She has faced hunger, sadness, isolation from friends and even pain, just so that I wouldn’t have to. Whenever I fell down, she was always there to pick me up. Whenever I was trying to destroy any obstacles in my life, she was there, to help me and to give me moral support. She knows what I need before even I know it. She knows me better than I know myself. She is an expert in me.When I think about all the people who love me, and there are a few, I think that the only person who truly loves me ‘unconditionally’ is my mother. What has more value than that? It’s a sweet burden; when someone gives you so much that you can never repay them. The only debt that we cannot repay is that which we owe to our mothers.
Recently, I was breaking my head to think what I should get my mother for Mother’s Day. What can you get the person who has given you everything? But then it struck me. Having only one day for mothers is does not do them justice. They gave us everything, and the only way we can show them even the smallest bit of appreciation is by giving them all we’ve got, each and every day. And that’s what I’m going to do.

If your mother is around, go and give her a hug. She doesn’t expect it, but she will never forget it. Also, tell her everyday how important she is to you. Or better yet, show her how much she means to you. 
------

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge